Friday, May 2, 2014

I am trying to write more (I.S.H.W.M.O. Part 3)

I'll admit, moving into a tiny house scared me at first - enough that we had to build a shed for my stuff first.  I know, it's awful, because it stayed in the shed and I didn't need it after all!

Have you ever tried to build one of those Arrow Sheds?  They look pretty slick in the yard, nice and metal and sliding doors of absolute glee!
You may or may not have thought about it when you picked up one of these boxes: How could that shed possibly fit in there?  

This was probably more difficult than building a house, I'd say.  Everything is labeled with random letters and numbers in sequences that are random- and in chalk, so that if part has rubbed off it is unreadable.  The instructions are confusing and misleading and at times you just have to make up what happens next.

We even got a bag labeled "Extra Pac".  WHAT?

By the end of the third day with three of us attempting to work on this we finally stretched the ends out and drilled holes where we wanted them to go, not where they thought they should go.

I'll have you know our caveman method turned out just fine and it did not leak or fall down.
Then we dug a drainage ditch around this baby and carried on with our lives.

Now, I know you want to get to the house but this was all a test of patience, because first we had to clear the yard.  As you can see in this last picture, there was a bit of a brush pile going on where I wanted to put my roots down.  I'm not usually an advocate for cutting trees down but this was a situation where we needed to find a mutual agreement with each other for who could live where.

At this point Ross's parents came out to help us get things together.  His dad works construction, after all.
As you can see, everyone pitched in (though you may be hard pressed to believe I had any part, given that any pictures of me are selfies :P.) and tore it up.

Then Ross broke out in poison oak like a giant puffy rash-monster and I turned 31.



No comments:

Post a Comment